Friday, March 10, 2006

I commented on Dr E's site about his regular references to peeing and pooing - I am envious of how relaxed men are about their bodily functions. After tanking up at a pub, they have absolutely no qualms about peeing publicly up against any available wall. In France, men peeing by the roadside is a common sight. A female friend of mind recently went to China, and they had a public loo in Beijing out in the open, where everyone just had a large umbrella propped in front of them to preserve their privacy - it covered the lower body from the waist down. She was so desperate she used it, but for me it would be instant constipation. I can swear like a docker when required, but I still find myself using euphanisms when talking about peeing and pooing - a coward's cop out. If I go into a loo in a hotel, club or restaurant and there is somebody else in there, I will either try to do a silent trickle near the edge of the bowl to be as silent as possible and if I need to poo I will wait til there is nobody else in there. Men seem to find farting publicly not just funny, but will take the piss out of each other about how loud, smelly etc. whereas women will smother giggles and pretend nothing happened. One day when I am old I am going to turn into an uninhibited, noisy, farting, pissing, shitting female.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kim Ayres said...

What an ambition. Goal setting and targets is what it's all about.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Desargues said...

It's OK to be ashamed about that, SB. It just means you've been well brought up.

And really, not all guys are that relaxed about their excretory prowess either. It's mostly Brits and Yanks who do that. And some Krauts. I suspect toilet humour must be a northern invention.

If you're looking for accomplishments in your old age, try gardening. Farting is overrated.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Gorilla Bananas said...

The important points are (a) to enjoy shitting and (b) not to be ashamed of enjoying it. This is the last great human taboo, which I wrote about in an early post.

11:41 PM  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Aim high, it is the only advice I can offer. My dearest friend has that same problem, she hums really loudly in an attempt to cover the sound of her taking a pee, I don't understand it myself, but she swears she can't go now uless she hums, even when she is at home and alone.

2:10 AM  
Blogger LindyK said...

SB, cheers on the blog! And I know exactly what you mean -- public toilets are so embarassing... there's some things nobody needs to know about, and that's one of them!

9:57 AM  
Blogger Foot Eater said...

I've always wondered if women's public loos are as replete with obscene graffiti as men's are. This is something I've long been meaning to ask women but have never got round to. Can you enlighten me? I suspect the answer's no, unless it's the bogs in Byker, Tyneside.

1:58 PM  
Blogger SheBah said...

footsie - there is lots of really obscene grafitti in women's loos, and some funny clever ones. A favourite of mine was one across the bottom of the loo door that says "Beware limbo dancers"

2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home