Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Living in the Present


Kim Ayres explores the longings of the human condition over on his blog (kimayres.blogspot.com).
I believe you should always live as much as possible in the now, with a weather eye for the future. Some people spend their whole lives looking for something just over a hill (until they are over the hill, full of regrets – and longing to go back in time!). You frequently see people on tv shows going to live abroad to find that special happiness which is eluding them, but wherever you go you are taking yourself, the same person with the same problems and faults. At the risk of sounding like an American self-help book, I believe you can only find satisfaction and peace by being happy with yourself as you are, not putting life on hold and always waiting for that better job, better partner, lottery win or whatever. It doesn’t mean you can’t strive to attain those things, fuck no, go for it big time, just don’t forget to enjoy and wallow in the present. Take a long hard look at yourself, and be glad for your own uniqueness, you are a one off, the only model (unless you’re an identical twin!) Seriously though, if you don’t like yourself, you need to get a bit of outside help. Most people associate success and achievement with money and fame – and I wouldn’t turn it down, but I wouldn’t sacrifice my family and friends for it – at least I don’t think so! I am totally into constant rewards and instant gratification – those daily small pleasures make for a much more satisfying life. Fuck everything else, and fuck feeling guilty. Feeling guilty is for catholics - (I’m lapsed – so that’s ok). Gimme, gimme, gimme….that stunning dress, those fab. shoes, the next episode of Dr Maroon’s story…………….

16 Comments:

Blogger fatmammycat said...

Us lapsed Catholics have all the perks. Every time I have sex for fun and not procreation it adds a little sense of sinful pleasure to the act itself.

5:09 AM  
Blogger Kim Ayres said...

At least by being a lapsed Catholic, so long as you get in your confession before you die you can still get into heaven. As an atheist I'm screwed.

5:48 AM  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Yeah but imagine the amount of praying we'd have to do to repent, I'd be there for weeks.

6:15 AM  
Blogger SheBah said...

I always thought we could just make one good act of contrition right at the end and the slate would be wiped clean, and the pearly gates would open sesame. Don't tell me that's changed too!

9:02 AM  
Blogger LindyK said...

Kim, it's ok -- HungBunny had a calculator thingy on his blog awhile back and being an atheist doesn't get you into the worst circles of hell... I think I was only in number 5, and lots of cool people were going there too.

Sexy, your post was thought provoking, as was Kim's (I have yet to come up with a good enough comment for it!). I've nicked Kate Hepburn's line: If you follow all the rules, you miss all the fun!

10:39 AM  
Blogger Gorilla Bananas said...

Atheists are reborn. If you're good in this life you'll come back as a gorilla, or as a human like "Davey boy" Attenborough, which is almost as good.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Foot Eater said...

If I were God I'd make atheists come back as archbishops, just to show the insubordinate weasels.

12:04 PM  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Sexy, we're good don't worry. We just ask for last rites. If we can keep our hearts beating for that long, we still get forgiven for all kinds of crap.
Wo-ho!!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Dr Maroon said...

Rubberfaced Rowen Atkinson does a great sketch as an angel welcoming the dead to Heaven. He lines them up like a prefect,
"Athiests? Over here please. Probably all feeling a bit sheepish, are we?"

5:56 AM  
Blogger Dr Joseph McCrumble said...

As a confirmed humanist (and objective scientist) I have managed to eschew the notion of guilt completely. I may repent, regret, recind, rewind, recapitulate or even relinquish, but to admit guilt would not only cause me to falsely align with religion but also possibly land me in jail for a number of cases never proven in a court of law. I rest my case.

2:20 PM  
Blogger SheBah said...

Dr Joseph, Those of us who had the early catholic brainwashing can leave everything behind except the guilt - gets us every time. Our common sense tells us one thing, but that little guilt devil is always banging on in the other ear, Sinner, Sinner!

1:38 AM  
Blogger SafeTinspector said...

I'm a lapsed Lutheran. We don't even have a pope to blame for our self-hatred.

Kim:As an athiest you should be relieved. No need to fear a nothing you won't be around to experience.

8:50 PM  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Sb, saw post on doc moc, you too paddy[s day much love kissy kisst. xxxxxxxx
in Rons' much singing.!!
Dios.,

3:20 PM  
Blogger SheBah said...

FMC - My poor head -am doing another St Pats day celebration to-night - all together now, "Low, lie the fields.........."

4:15 AM  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

I am lying at my desk trying to not vomit right this second. I'm so hungover that even reading print is making me feel strange. And I have to work for a few hours. And for some odd reason, the coffee I keep drinking keeps coming back up again...and I need it to stay awake.

4:30 AM  
Blogger Brewski said...

Sexy B you have a blog! And you have hit the sweet-spot with this post. Oh yes.

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home